Before you take off on your travels, ask yourself one question. Do you know the best way to pack a suitcase? Chances are – you’re not packing like a pro. You’d be surprised to know that some of the best travel hacks revolve around your packing skills. Here are a few packing tips to help you on your journey.
Make A Packing List
1. Do Your Laundry: Make your life a little easier before you leave on your trip by cleaning your room and washing all of your clothes. Not will you have an easier time tracking down the outfits and items that you want to pack for your travels, but you’ll also come come home to a tidy nest.
2. Make a packing list: Even if you’re an expert traveller, it’s important to make a packing list. Depending on where you’re going and the length of your travel trip, it’s easier to pack when you know exactly how many tops, bottoms, shoes, and accessories you’ll need.
How to Pack Clothes
3. Roll your clothes, don’t fold them: When it comes to packing like a pro, there are a few packing hacks that you can follow to save space in your suitcase and prevent wrinkles. Instead of folding your clothes, just fold them in half and roll them!
4. Line the bottom of your suitcase: Pack your heavier bottoms like jeans, khakis, and chinos along the bottom of your suitcase or travel bag. Layer lighter tops on top of those jeans before resting scarves and other goods at the top of your suitcase.
5. Flip your blazers inside out before you roll them: To further prevent wrinkles on your dressier pieces, like blazers and jackets, flip them inside out and roll them. You’ll prevent lint and creases this way. Just be sure to shake out your outerwear and hang them once you get to your travel destination.
How to Pack Accessories
6. Pack no more than three pairs of shoes: The amount of shoes that you need on your trip depends on the length of the journey. An average of three pairs is a good rule of thumb to go by. Protect your shoes by lining them with shower caps.
7. Tuck a fresh drying sheet into each shoe: The crisp, clean smell will keep both your feet and your clothes smelling laundry fresh!
8. Line your suitcase with your shoes: While packing, use your shoes to line the edge of your suitcase or travel bag. This packing tip will keep your clothes from shifting during your travels and helps prevent wrinkles.
9. If you’re traveling with jewelry: Necklaces, bracelets, or rings can easily get tangled in your suitcase. Just fold them between two pieces of plastic wrap.
How to Pack Toiletries and Tech Supplies
10. Pack shampoo, body wash, and lotion in soft containers: Softer and pliable containers are more likely to survive the change in pressure – meaning that you’ll find your favorite lotions, shampoos, or body gels packed away rather than all over your clothes. If you have a hard bottle, wrap the neck with plastic wrap before you put the lid on to prevent spills on your clothes.
11. Wrap your glass items in socks and tuck them in shoes: Tuck all of your fragile items into socks and shoes to prevent them from breaking. You can also wrap your perfume and cologne bottles in a small washcloth to prevent them from breaking and to save more space.
11. Put a thin napkin or cotton pad in your powder: If you’re travelling with makeup, place a thin napkin, paper towel, or cotton pad in your powder to prevent it from breaking and spilling everywhere.
13. Store your cords and cables in a glasses case: Luckily for our tech generation, most suitcases and travel bags come with built-in laptop compartments. Avoid tangling your cords and cables by storing them in an old glasses case. You’ll have an easier time finding them when you’re unpacking.
Packing Like a Pro
Did we miss any of your favorite packing tips? Let us know in the comments or on our social media!
This article was written by Gabriela Barcenas.