NYC is well known for a lot of things, and New York food is certainly one of them. This city has no lack in amazing food options. If you want something a bit more special than snow globes, key chains, shot glasses, and other trinkets, check out these must-have food souvenirs to bring back from NYC and get your shopping list started.
1. Pretzel croissant, City Bakery, 3 West 18th Street, $4
This cult classic, a beloved New York food by locals and visitors alike, is a weirdly wonderful combination of sweet buttery croissant and salty, rich street pretzel.
2. Pastrami-cured Salmon, Russ & Daughters, 179 E. Houston Street, $36
For a taste of New York food, look no further. This salmon is smoked to perfection and then covered in a special pastrami rub of 14 different herbs and spices. Enjoy two iconic New York specialties – smoked salmon and pastrami – at the same time.
3. Black and White Cookies, William Greenberg Desserts, Madison Avenue, $12
It is a soft, sponge-cake-like shortbread which is iced on one half with vanilla fondant, and on the other half by chocolate fondant.
4. Cupcakes, Magnolia Bakery or Baked by Melissa, Classic Cupcake Assortment for $21
Grab a set of the adorable mini ones in a bunch of fun flavors including tie-dye, chocolate chip cookie dough, and peanut butter and jelly.
5. Bagels, Zabar’s, Broadway, $10 for six
There’s nothing quite like enjoying the freshness of a bagel that has been crafted by true artisans. Bagels are one of the most popular New York food items enjoyed in the city.
6. Brownies, Fat Witch, Chelsea Market, $2,95
A box of their original – a deep, dark, rich treat – or some snow witches made with all white chocolate would make a perfect holiday present. For kids, there are Fat Witch babies, bite-size versions that come in three flavors.
7. Local Beer, Brooklyn Brown Ale, Brooklyn Brewery
It’s always good to drink local. Brooklyn Brown Ale combines the best of those classic ale styles and then adds an American accent in the form of a firm hop character and roasty palate.
8. Fox’s U-Bet Syrup, Thatford Ave., Brooklyn, $2
Use this creamy, rich syrup to create fantastically-flavored ice cream sundaes and milkshakes. You can also try making classic New York egg creams by mixing chocolate syrup, seltzer water, and whole milk. Drizzle chocolate syrup over ice cream cakes, parfaits, pancakes, waffles, and more!
9. Loose and packaged teas, McNulty’s Tea & Coffee, Greenwich Village, from $7
Pick up loose and packaged teas in several interesting flavors that include Golden Monkey, Mango Black, Serenity Garden, Lung Chiing Dragonwell, Green Gunpowder, and Jasmine Downy Pearls.
10. McClure’s Pickles, several locations around the city, the four pack for $40
Look for McClure’s Pickles while you are out and about in the city. The Bloody Mary Mix is chic and iconic for brunch and the perfect choice for putting anyone in a NY State of Mind.
11. Junior’s Cheesecake, Brooklyn/Times Square/Grand Central, Original NY Plain Cheesecake for $36.95
New York cheesecake is known for being amongst the best in the world. Junior’s Cheesecake has a reputation for delightfully delicious cheesecake with many types to choose from. Varieties include Brooklyn Crumb Cheesecake, Cherry Crumb, Raspberry Swirl, and Brownie Marble Swirl.
Get on Grabr today and order your tasty piece of New York food! Share your favorite NYC foods with us in the comments below 🙂
This article was written by Olga Feoktistova.